Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Living the good life

Last week was the beginning of new employee orientation. By beginning I mean 50 hours out of 142 hours that we have to complete. First Aid, CPR and PAR (Protective Action Response) were last week. PAR is required by DJJ, it’s a course that teaches us how to verbally de-escalate kids if they are escalating into a crisis and if that doesn’t work and they become combative or aggravated how to defend myself and protect them at the same time using physical interventions, super intense. This week is computer reading. I have to sit at a computer for about 3 days worth of reading and taking tests.

Over the weekend I didn’t do a lot, trying to use my free time to relax before I start work.
Friday afternoon after we had finished our PAR testing Tiffany and I went to this super cute café in Inverness called the Cockadoodle Café. There were so many cute old people that all seemed to know each other. That night I went with some co-workers to an Irish Pub in Crystal River called Burkes. They had a really awesome selection of beer, some from CA, none from Humboldt though.

Saturday I spent the day watching Grey’s Anatomy, Friday Night Lights and Twin Peaks. I’m so excited I’m almost done watching Twin Peaks!

Sunday, Tiffany and I went to a Calvary Church in Inverness, it was interesting. 

Then we drove to St. Pete’s Beach in St. Petersburg. It took us a bit longer to get to the beach than we had planned since we got a little lost but I have now seen Tropicana Field where the Rays play from every angle. I've now been to the Gulf! Oh and according to the guy I sat next to on the plane from San Antonio to Tampa the waves in the Gulf are only really big during a storm. So you can't surf in the Gulf. You have to go to the East Coast for that.
Florida Gulf
The rainy season has also ended in Florida so we should have a lot more days that look like this! And less thunderstorms. 
This Sunday if we have it off Tiffany and I are going to try to find a Gospel Church. I'm super excited!
The rest of this week I have more training but hopefully I will get to start working next week, I've been assigned to a group and a football team for the Staff Super Bowl which is in January. (The football game was the talk of the office today, it's all I heard about from lunch until we left, should be a lot of fun though, staff against staff.)

P.S. I know what my address is so if you would like it please send me a private message.

1 comment:

  1. I did something similar to PAR in the teacher credential program last year--it was called Nonviolent Crisis Intervention. Such good skills! I actually used them last summer when a coworker entered a conflict with someone else.

    I wonder if the moves are similar...

    Anyhow, I'd be glad to send you a post card!

    ReplyDelete